Create Bootable USB Flash Drives
This is actually a pretty simple (and free) process. I re-posted the directions from BackTrack (a linux distribution of Penetration Testing Tools). FYI, I chose this method over using the standard Mac OSX Disk Utility primarily because Disk Utility does not accept ISO images. Also, UNetBootin support multiple platforms, making it a good universal tool.
This method of getting a live install to a USB drive is the simplest available using Unetbootin.
(Note that we will format the USB drive and erase its contents).
- Plug in your USB Drive (Minimum USB Drive capacity 2 GB)
- Format the USB drive to FAT32
- Download Unetbootin from http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
- Start Unetbootin and select an ISO diskimage
- Select your USB drive and click “OK” for creating a bootable USB drive
- Reboot. Enjoy!
Note: If you want to convert a DMG file to an ISO in the Mac Terminal:
hdiutil convert /path/imagefile.iso -format UDRW -o /path/convertedimage.dmg